Crab Cake Sauce Recipes
My apologies… It has been a while since I posted on the Crab Cake Guy blog. I have been busy testing new crab cake recipes and putting together some crab cake sauces. Below are 3 different variations of sauces for crab cakes. Please test them out and let me know what you think. Thanks
Creamy Crab Cake Sauce
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup hot salsa
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, cottage cheese, salsa, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and yogurt in a blender and puree until smooth. Chill before serving.
Savory Crab Cake Cream Sauce:
3 Crab shells chopped in half
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs basil
1 bay leaf
1 Roman tomato, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups water
2 cups heavy cream
salt and freshly ground white pepper
1. Place the crab shells in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until orange and slightly browned.
2. Remove and set aside.
3. heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
4, Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, bay leaf, tomato and roasted lobster heads.
5. Add the white wine, stir to deglaze the pan, and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, bring to a simmer, and decrease the heat to low.
6. Cook at a low simmer for 15 minutes. Increase the heat to high and cook to reduce the liquid by three-quarters.
7. Add the cream and cook for 10 minutes longer, until slightly thick.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the liquid into a clean saucepan, pressing down on the solids with a wooden spoon to extract as much of the liquid as possible.
9. Set over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes, or until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and let cool. Cover and refrigerate.
Crab Cake Sauce with Chives
1/4 cup Dry White Wine
1 teaspoon Sherry Vinegar
1/4 cup Vegetable Stock
2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
2 tablespoons unsalted Butter, diced
4 tablespoons chopped Fresh Chives
1. Add dry white wine, sherry vinegar and vegetable stock to saucepan.
2. Heat over medium heat, and reduce volume by half.
3. Stir in heavy cream and cook another 4 minutes.
4. Add butter pieces one by one, stirring while they melt.
5. Remove sauce from heat and add chives.
6. Serve hot over crab cakes.
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
Crab Cake Recipes
The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading