Sam Choy’s Coconut Crab Cakes with Coconut Basil Mayonnaise
courtesy Food Network Emeril Live and Sam Choy, 2002
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 pound lump crabmeat
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chives, finely minced
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
5 cups panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
Diced tomatoes, for garnish
Chives, for garnish
Coconut Basil Mayonnaise, recipe follows
1. Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onion and celery and saute until onion is translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix crabmeat, coconut, mayonnaise, mustard, chives, parsley and 1 cup panko with the onion/celery mixture.
3. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Form into 2-inch diameter cakes.
5. Roll cakes first in flour, then in beaten eggs, then in the remaining 4 cups of panko, each time shaking off excess.
6. Heat oil, and saute the crab cakes until golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels.
8. Arrange on a platter and garnish with tomatoes and chives.
9. Serve with coconut basil mayonnaise.
Coconut Basil Mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
Salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth.
2. May be prepared a day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Sam Choy’s Island Flavors by Sam Choy
Aloha Cuisine by Sam Choy
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
The Crab Cake Guy’s Recipes
The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading