Gruet Steak House Crab Cakes
courtesy Gruet Steak House Albuquerque
From the beautiful South West comes this Dungeness Crab Cake recipe. Gruet Steak House is the Gruet family’s entrée into the culinary scene. Located within the historic Monte Vista Fire Station in the Sante Fe’s vibrant Nob Hill neighborhood, the Steakhouse both celebrates and contributes to the festive energy of the area though its Epicurean alchemy- providing patrons with classic American cuts and courses accented by French preparation and presentation.
Dungeness Crabmeat 1lb
Panko Bread Crumbs 1/3 cup
Mayonnaise (Best Foods) 1/3 cup
Whole Grain Mustard 2tbsp
Tarragon 1 tbsp
Chives 2 tbsp
Cayenne Pepper 1 pinch
Kosher Salt ½ tsp
Black Pepper 1 pinch freshly ground
Lemon Zest 1 each zest & Mince
Shallots 2 tbsp minced
Prepare all ingredients as directed.
Combine all ingredients except for the crab meat and bread crumbs.
Over and ice bath, fold in the crabmeat.
Gently add the bread crumbs until thoroughly mixed.
Taste and adjust as needed.
- In a heated sauté pan ad tbsp of cooking oil and place crab cake with the presentation side down first.
- Sautee until golden brown or until the crab cake no longer sticks to the pan (only on one side).
- Flip and place into 350 degree oven for 4 to six minuets.
- While crab cake is in the oven, set plate with mixed greens and small ramiken of Remoulade sauce garnished with chopped chives.
- Remove crab from oven and probe to get internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Once this temperature has been attained placed next to mixed greens with the presentation side up.
Mayonnaise (Best Foods) 1 cup
Anchovies 1 each chopped fine
Dijon Mustard 1 tsp
Tarragon 1 tsp chopped fine
Dill Pickles ½ tsp chopped fine
Capers ½ tsp chopped fine
Champagne Vinegar 1 tsp
Cayenne Pepper 1 pinch
Lemon Juice 2 tsp fresh
Kosher Salt 1 pinch
Black Pepper 1 Dash Fresh Ground
- Place all ingredients except mayonnaise in a food processor.
- Blend until all ingredients are very fine and well combined.
- Ad the mayonnaise and pulse until thoroughly combines with all ingredients.
- Taste and adjust as needed.
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
The Crab Cake Guy’s Recipes
The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading