The Crab Cake Guy

Crab Cakes, Crab Cake Recipes, Crab Cake Reviews, Maryland Crab Cake Information and More!

The Crab Cake Guy header image 2

Dungeness Crab Cakes Recipe with Lemon Aioli

February 16th, 2009 · 13 Comments

Dungeness Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli

Dungeness Crab Cakes Recipe

Dungeness Crab Cakes Recipe

This Dungeness crab cake recipe combines the delicate taste of the dungeness crab cakes with the acidity of lemon aioli. An easy to prepare recipe this one can be made with dungeness or blue crab. Try it out and let me know how it tastes. -The Crab Cake Guy

Crab Cakes

• 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 1/2 pounds cleaned Dungeness crab meat
  • 1/4 pound fresh scallops
  • Fresh ground white pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon chopped Italian parsley

• 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon saffron
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Pinch cayenne
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

Instructions

1. Pick over crab, checking for shell. Do not break up chunks of meat, chill.
  2. Place the scallops in a blender with a pinch of salt and fresh ground white pepper.
  3. Turn on the blender, and slowly add heavy cream in a steady steam.
  4. Scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula, then blend the mixture one more time to make sure the scallop mousse is smooth. Set aside.
  5. In a bowl with the crab, add the mustard, celery, herbs and lemon zest and lightly toss to evenly distribute the ingredients.
  6. Fold the scallop mousse into the crab mixture, again taking care not to break up the meat.
  7. Taste, and season, as needed with salt, white pepper, cayenne and lemon juice as needed.
  8. If mixture seems dry and will not hold together, beat and stir in one whole egg to bind.
  9. Form crab mixture into cakes and chill.
  10. For the aioli, place all the ingredients in a blender except the oil.
  11. Turn on the blender and slowly drizzle the oil in a steam until it is completely incorporated into the emulsion. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  12. Heat a film of olive oil in a large skillet or griddle. Place panko on a sheet pan.
  13. Dip each side of the crab cake lightly in the panko and brown lightly until golden and crab mixture is warmed through. Serve hot garnished with aioli and a drizzle of Lemon olive oil.

Additional Resources:
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
The Crab Cake Guy’s Recipes

The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More
by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading

Tags: Crab Cake Recipes · Dungeness Crab Cakes

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 CoolStuffForDads.com // Feb 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Wow! I don’t really even like crab cakes and that picture made me hungry! When I came across your blog, I could only really think of “Wedding Crashers” and the reference those guys make to the crab cakes served at wedding receptions. Cheers!

• 2 Matt // Mar 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info. That looks really good. I’ll have to try that soon. Looks tasty!

• 3 Don Moss // Jun 16, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Looks good, we’re going to try it today only with fresh halibut and see how it turns out.

• 4 Bessy // Sep 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I was looking for one crab cake recipe but was suprised to find a whole site!

• 5 kim // Oct 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Is the Aioli supposed to be served cold?

• 6 RandomPerson // Nov 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm

This looks mouth-watering. I’m going to make this for Thanksgiving! Thanks for the recipe!!!

• 7 RandomPerson // Nov 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

P.S. I know the idea for crab cakes for thanksgiving sounds wierd but it is yummy! ^W^

• 8 RandomPerson // Nov 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm

What are Panko crumbs????
    And where do I get them? Target, Macys, Nob Hill??????

• 9 Ros // Dec 5, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Making this recipe for the 2nd time for dinner guests. These crab cakes are the best we’ve ever tasted. I love the addition of the scallop mousse. Brilliant. We’re going pair this with cedar planked halibut. Didn’t much care for the Aioli though. Perhaps it takes a couple of tries to get it right.

• 10 Skip Layton // Feb 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm

My wife and I made this recipe with fresh blue crab and it is the best crab cake we have ever eaten. That is saying a lot since I was born in Maryland and lived my entire life on the East Coast.

Very simple preparation but very complex flavors!

• 11 Chef Julia // Jan 17, 2012 at 1:24 am

Hey Crab Cake Guy, that is my recipe that you have posted without attribution, most likely lifted from the Foodzie blog. Unless you attend the cooking class as well. Please attribute to the originators of your recipes!

• 12 The Crab Cake Guy // Jan 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Chef Julia, many of our recipes are submitted by other Crab Cake Guy readers and unfortunately there is a chance they were copied . If this is truely yours then I encourage our readers to visit her site or take one of her classes. Best wishes.

• 13 Chef Julia // Jan 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Thanks for the response! We just took first place in the Mendocino Crab and Wine Days Crab Cake Cookoff with a variation on this recipe. For more information about Assaggiare Mendocino, you can visit our website at http://www.assaggiare.com or our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/assaggiare.