Captain Buddy’s Deviled Crab Cakes
courtesy of Buddy’s Seafood Restaurant in Charleston, North Carolina
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 lbs fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells and flaked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup crushed soda cracker (saltines)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery,green pepper and onion and cook, stirring constantly until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Do not let vegetables brown.
- Add crabmeat,chopped egg,mayonnaise,cracker crumbs and parsley and toss lightly.
- Season to taste with salt,pepper and hot sauce.
- (If mixture seems too thick, stir in milk one tablespoon at a time.).
- Butter scallop, blue crab shells or individual ramekins.
- Fill evenly with crab mixture.
- Bake until tops are golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
The Crab Cake Guy’s Recipes
The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading