Spicy Crab Cakes
Here is a crab cake recipe for those of you who like to “Kick it Up a Notch” here is a recipe for Spicy Crab Cakes with Horseradish Mayo. The horseradish mayo gives a refreshing kick to the spicy crab cakes. If you are looking for a way to add spice to the traditional crab cake recipe then try this one out…
- 4-5 slices white sandwich bread
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound cooked fresh crabmeat, picked over and drained
Horseradish Mayo Ingredients
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish (see how to make horseradish for a scratch version)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Tear up the bread and pulse in a food processor to make fine, soft crumbs (about 4 cups). Transfer the bread crumbs to a shallow pan and mix in 1/2 cup of the parsley.
- In a food processor, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, paprika, thyme, and black pepper. Pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, add the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the mixture emulsifies and forms a mayonnaise-type sauce.
- Transfer sauce to a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion and bell pepper with the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley.
- Add the mayonnaise-type sauce and crabmeat and mix lightly.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in 1 cup of the bread crumb mixture.
- Gently form 6 cakes and flatten them into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the patties lightly in the remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add about 2 Tbsp of butter to the pan.
- Fry crab cakes gently 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and heated through.
- To prepare the horseradish mayo, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate.
I Love Crab Cakes! 50 Recipes for an American Classic by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
The Crab Cake Guy’s Recipes
The Crab Lover’s Book: Recipes & More by Mary Ethelyn Orso
Crab Cake Guy’s recommended reading